Personal Lines Underwriter
Overall Purpose – A diverse role, you will be expected to underwrite a wide range of Personal Lines propositions and assist in the management of the portfolio in line with agreed service standards and key performance objectives. You will actively identify opportunities within our Broker distribution network and contribute to the build of the Personal Lines portfolio with a focus on New Business, Risk Referral and Renewal Retention. The opportunity to specialise in certain portfolios may also arise.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- To underwrite consistently and profitably
- To develop close, effective relationships with brokers through regular contact including site visits
- To effectively negotiate with both internal and external parties including identified points of contact with a brokerage
- To maintain and develop internal and external customer relations
- Review, analyse and approve quotations
- Identifying and implementing corrective measures required to enhance the profitability of the Personal Lines product portfolios
- Familiarisation with and adherence to and compliance with relevant legislation and guidelines as well as underwriting and binder authority frameworks
- Responsible for assessing non-standard risks and referring to Senior Management as necessary. Specifying conditions to be imposed on different types of policies
- Ensuring Brokers adhere to laid down service standards.
- To clearly understand and implement the Company’s underwriting and business philosophies.
- Acquire a detailed knowledge of product offering and competitor offerings.
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum CIP qualification (or working towards)
- 2+ years relevant underwriting experience in Personal Lines
- Excellent technical knowledge of Personal Lines
- Knowledge of underwriting rating methods, procedures and reviews