Director of Design Strategy – Design Thinking
They are currently looking to recruit a Director of Design Strategy to lead Design Thinking teaching and doing in their European Lab based in Dublin. Their design thinking strategists coach, enable and consult on design thinking across the business and are embedded in their Lab incubators. These are small teams that run like start-ups working on challenging, ambiguous, human-centred problems worth solving.
The Design Thinking practice has strong executive support – oftentimes the incubators read-out to the CEO and Chairman. The team is composed of alumni from a variety of the best design schools and agencies around the world who love working at the Labs because they can sink their teeth into tricky problems, have balanced lives, and continue to hone their craft in an incredibly collaborative and supportive environment. Their team acts as innovation catalysts and is looking for people who know how to instil a customer centric approach to problem solving. There is a desire to expand their European capabilities, you will report in to the Head of labs Europe and work closely with their US Design Thinking team and Labs more broadly.
You’ll be responsible for creating and delivering a vision for enabling the further adoption & practice of design thinking across the company, create and facilitate workshops, and design and execute meaningful human centred research, mining insights for value-creation, opportunity and break-through thinking.
Questions guide their work, such as how do they spark people to be human centred in highly analytical work? How do they empower people to iterate and test qualitative concepts to complement analysis? How do they get teams to embrace failure? How do you start a movement for change?
Do these questions interest you? Do you have a desire to be a leader & teacher in helping others achieve higher levels of innovation? If so, and you are a Design Strategist with a passion for human centred design, as well as spreading and teaching this knowledge, then this is the role for you!
The Expertise you’ll have:
- 10+ years of experience in Design Thinking / Design Research / Design Strategy / Experience Strategy
- Worked in a design or innovation firm/ business unit on multiple projects
- Experience teaching and applying Design Thinking principles, tools and application with a non-design audience
- Experience designing and facilitating group workshops
- Possess the ability to design and execute qualitative research using a number of methods based on project goals and timelines
- Can lead a cross-disciplinary team in empathy work and ideation
- A synthesis star – ability to get to the “so what,” actionable insights, key frameworks and opportunity areas from research so the whole team can move forward
- A story-crafter and teller
The Skills You Bring
- A Meaningful Leader – You can lead and influence other design strategists focused on teaching, thought-leadership and opportunity development. You are able to effectively motivate and expand the value of the Design Thinking Team.
- Create a Vision and Execute – You can create a vision and approach to the application and scaling of design thinking across the firm. You can identify areas of greatest impact and manage to delivery.
- Communicating Purpose and Impact – You can effectively craft the story of the team’s work and the value created. You broker buy-in and enthusiasm from stakeholders at all levels.
- A Superb Collaborator – You inspire those around you, cultivate great relationships and generate energy and enthusiasm on teams and projects.
- A Courageous Innovator – You question the status-quo, instigate change and navigate ambiguity acting as a catalyst for change. You love to design experiments, test prototypes and take the learnings as a springboard for action and iteration.
The Value You Deliver
- Deep expertise in Design Thinking & Innovation practices
- Empathy for non-designers who are learning new methods and working outside traditional design studios
- True concern for users and desire to make the world a better place for them
- Desire to be a leader & teacher in inspiring others to achieve higher levels of innovation
- A love for ambiguous problems and the ability to capture a clear and concise design strategy.
- A high energy self-starter, collaborator & communicator with an experimental, can-do mind-set
Our client rewards ambitious, passionate individuals with a work environment that fosters diversity, teamwork and collaboration as well as encourages innovative ideas and fresh thinking. They recognize the value that employees’ individual differences can contribute to the bright and strong future of the company.
The salary for this role is based on experience but is inline with a Director’s salary and package which includes a 20% bonus.